Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2021-22

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2021-22

Postby robdinsdale on Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:07 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:
robdinsdale wrote:
Tichtheid wrote:Immelman is listed as an outside centre on the Embra site, along with Mark Bennett, JJ and George Taylor.
The 12s listed are Dean, Lang, Hutchinson and Jordan Venter.

There's obviously a great deal of scope for mixing it up

I think it would be a positive thing if we did have more flexibility/rotation among the backs.

I don't understand why if we decided we needed a big athletic 13 we'd play Immelmann there over Currie? Currie's performance Vs Zebre last year was a belter.

Immelmann looks like a fine squad option does most things to a reasonable level but not outstanding. I would not be happy if he started getting minutes at 13 over Currie who could be a sensational player going forward.

I think we should operate on the principle that the same 15 players won't be playing 80 minutes each and every week and that it's good to have decent options in the squad. I agree that Currie could be a fine player but the lad is only 20 and only just back from injury himself.

We have a much better stock of backs this season and even then last week we were starting with Hutchison and JJ, which for me isn't a particularly strong centre pairing.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby JDCSR on Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:38 pm

I know we didn't quite get to the point of our backline selection being "pick whoever is the least SteveWalsh" but I'm enjoying the selection debates more this season!
JDCSR
World Cup Star

Postby djphilp on Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:08 pm

robdinsdale wrote:I agree that Currie could be a fine player but the lad is only 20...

We really need to stop this mentality where we place so much stock on the age of the player, no other countries do it. If Currie is good enough, as his past performances have suggested he is, then he is old enough.
Click on the logo above for Edinburgh's official website.
djphilp
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:06 pm

djphilp wrote:
robdinsdale wrote:I agree that Currie could be a fine player but the lad is only 20...

We really need to stop this mentality where we place so much stock on the age of the player, no other countries do it. If Currie is good enough, as his past performances have suggested he is, then he is old enough.

Scotland and Scottish teams have never had that mentality. Edinburgh had one coach who had that attitude, and many more attitudes as well which were unwise and unwelcome
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby Trophyhunter on Sun Oct 31, 2021 6:15 pm

Agree on age point . My only concern is that we don’t stress development with too much burn and load to soon . A bunch of young guys got their first cap yesterday and most probably ahead of the levels they need to reach before they can confidently play Tier 1 opponents but 18 months/ 2 years down the line they should be at a level to compete for World Cup places .
Trophyhunter
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sat Nov 06, 2021 5:54 pm

Kyle Rowe with a hat trick against (an understrength) Sarries. One that got away?
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Sat Nov 06, 2021 8:12 pm

djphilp wrote:

Cockerill had an aversion to player development. Sottish Rugby has never had an issue playing anyone good enough, there have ben loads of examples, even now
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby zt1903 on Sun Nov 07, 2021 1:10 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:Kyle Rowe with a hat trick against (an understrength) Sarries. One that got away?

Yes, very possibly. Surely had room for him after losing DVDM and Sau.
zt1903
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:06 am

Friday Knight Lights wrote:Kyle Rowe with a hat trick against (an understrength) Sarries. One that got away?

Possibly, but I'm not even sure how long he was with us. I thought he was in the Glasgow squad and then he turned up to play one game for us while Cockerill was evidently on the way out.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Mon Nov 08, 2021 1:24 pm

djphilp wrote:

Do not believe Scotland has ever had a problem promoting young players if good enough. I know one ex Edinburgh coach certainly had, and he is now working for another coach of the same ilk.
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:30 am

Roan Frostwick is away to Ampthill for a loan period. That's great! Get as many as the academy lads as possible out on loan and playing rugby!
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Trophyhunter on Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:15 pm

Good option for Frostwick who needs to play regularly at a decent level if he is to progress. On Kyle Rowe point , wingers are not exactly a priority given our options with the addition of the Argentines to our squad.
Trophyhunter
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:47 am

Friday Knight Lights wrote:Roan Frostwick is away to Ampthill for a loan period. That's great! Get as many as the academy lads as possible out on loan and playing rugby!

And at a decent-ish standard as well. Better for him to be playing in the Championship down south than amateur stuff up here for the rest of the season. From what I saw of him in the Super 6 he seems quite a composed player.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:54 pm

I see Sam Daly (who was great in the Super 6 for Watsonians) is listed as being part of our squad in the info about Club Appreciation Night on Friday.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:10 pm

robdinsdale wrote:I see Sam Daly (who was great in the Super 6 for Watsonians) is listed as being part of our squad in the info about Club Appreciation Night on Friday.

Strangely there's no Mesu Kunavula or Harrison Courtney though.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum