Challenge Cup 21/22

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Challenge Cup 21/22

Postby Tichtheid on Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:50 pm

robdinsdale wrote:
Tichtheid wrote:
dolf_lundgren wrote:Very good all round performance.

The defensive intensity was probably the most gratifying part. Glen Young was very good on the first half, it just the tried but also his defence and counter rucking

Scrum a comcern and line out was a bit of a mess again, we really do need to sort that out.

Lots of good performances, Kinghorn really is growing, Bennet oozes class and Boffeli is very reassuring in every aspect of his play

The scrum looked very good earlier in the season no matter who we picked, though WP's cameo against (I think) The Stormers was special.
It's a concern if has gone off the boil

In this game we were playing our Super 6 props against a decent scrummaging outfit so I wouldn't read too much into that.

That fact had completely slipped my mind - sackcloth and ashes for me.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:43 pm

Bath could be pretty dangerous by April, will have little to gain or lose in the league so will want to prove a point in the cup. The likes of Sarries may well be the opposite, still involved in the legaue and nothing to prove in europe.

Im not as worried about the scrum as I am about the lineout, we have fairly consistently struggled this season with a variety of different second rows and hookers. It needs to be sorted. It goes for Scotland in the AIs too. Is it tactics which are wrong as I dont understand how the players can all be struggling, are we just too predictable?
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Weegie on Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:10 pm

2.7 The Round of 16 matches, in which Challenge Cup qualifiers have home advantage, will be as follows:

Match 1: CC ranked 1 v CC ranked 10
Match 2: CC ranked 2 v CC ranked 9
Match 3: CC ranked 3 v HCC ranked 6
Match 4: CC ranked 4 v HCC ranked 5
Match 5: CC ranked 8 v HCC ranked 1
Match 6: CC ranked 7 v HCC ranked 2
Match 7: CC ranked 6 v HCC ranked 3
Match 8: CC ranked 5 v HCC ranked 4

https://www.epcrugby.com/challenge-cup/format/

Pool A
Toulon have 15 from 3 games. Possible 20 points and have Biarritz away next round.
Worcester are on 9 and are finished.
Newcastle are on 9 but have Zebre at home so should finish on 14.
Biarritz are on 8 and would have to beat Toulon to get to 12/13.

Pool B
Lyon are on 18 and are finished.
Gloucester are on 11 and have the Dragons at Rodney Parade so possible 16 points.
Benetton, USAP and Dragons are all out of it.

Pool C
London Irish on 12 and finished
Edinburgh are on 10 and could go to 15 v Pau
Saracens are on 6 and could go to 11 vs Brive in Brive.
Brive and Pau are out of it.

I got bored working out all the permutations but I reckon the top seeds from the CC are :

1. Toulon
2. Lyon
3. Gloucester
4. Edinburgh
5. Newcastle
6. London Irish
7. Saracens

Which suggests Edinburgh are at home to Northampton, and Glasgow are away to Newcastle.
Weegie
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:22 pm

The rankings first of all depend on group placings.So if Edinburgh beat Pau and win our group they will rank above Gloucester (ie 2nd or 3rd depending on Toulon v Biarritz result) notwithstanding Gloucester can get to 16 points with a BP win and Edinburgh have a maximum of 15 if they get a BPwin against Pau.
If I'm correct it won't then be Northampton.Possibly Bath?
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby Weegie on Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:27 pm

liveinhope wrote:The rankings first of all depend on group placings.So if Edinburgh beat Pau and win our group they will rank above Gloucester (ie 2nd or 3rd depending on Toulon v Biarritz result) notwithstanding Gloucester can get to 16 points with a BP win and Edinburgh have a maximum of 15 if they get a BPwin against Pau.
If I'm correct it won't then be Northampton.Possibly Bath?

oops, missed that bit.
Weegie
World Cup Star

Previous

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum