Edinburgh v Benetton

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh v Benetton

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:48 pm

liveinhope wrote:It should not be forgotten amongst all the hype that (unless I am mistaken) Cockerill rather than Blair was responsible for signing Vellacott,Lang and Immelmann so hats off to him for that.
( I think Boffelli and Moyano may have been signed under Blair's watch?)

It's Mallender responsible for most signings. Coaches rarely deserve any credit for signings as it's not their job.

Ben Vellacott and James Lang were signed because their Scottish qualified and not to playing regularly. Cockers, Blair, Hodge, Solly, Bradley doesn't matter who is the coach we sign those types. Immelmann who knows how it came about. The Argentinians were massively left field too.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Trophyhunter on Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:20 am

Players would never had either the encouragement or confidence to attempt those plays under Cockeril He got us organised , made us hard to beat and disciplined but in no way shape or form did he develop our game or players. That is increasingly evident.
Trophyhunter
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:00 am

liveinhope wrote:It should not be forgotten amongst all the hype that (unless I am mistaken) Cockerill rather than Blair was responsible for signing Vellacott,Lang and Immelmann so hats off to him for that.
( I think Boffelli and Moyano may have been signed under Blair's watch?)

Boffelli and Moyano were announced after Blair started but they would have been in progress or agreed a good while before then, I imagine.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:23 am

Trophyhunter wrote:Players would never had either the encouragement or confidence to attempt those plays under Cockeril He got us organised , made us hard to beat and disciplined but in no way shape or form did he develop our game or players. That is increasingly evident.

Don't even think that's true. Vellacott as third/fourth choice at wasps - who knows if he's getting another deal. Definitely isn't on the money he was on as they signed him after his breakout year with Gloucester when he got in the England squad. Where other than Scotland where he's valuable as a SQ player and we only have two scrum halfs neither great is he valuable? Also he's the antithesis of a Cockerill 9.

Lang it's believable maybe Cockers sold him the dream of being the backline ignition. Maybe. But it's far more likely as a non English qualified player who wasn't starting or even benching in the big games he wasn't getting a deal at Quins and the best option for him was one of the Scottish clubs.

It's the nature of the business Scottish pro clubs sign SQ players who don't get contracts elsewhere. Or they sign SQ players with promise. Unless you'll have me believe Danny Wilson was watching NTT Red Rockets for two years and it just so happened their star 13 was Scottish.

Agents and Jim Mallender/the SRU signing committee do signings. Cockers was a great coach for us and then it went wrong but let's not give him credit for other people's jobs.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Previous

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum