Edinburgh v Scarlets 1715 KO Saturday 25 Sep

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh v Scarlets 1715 KO Saturday 25 Sep

Postby The Feral Goat on Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:54 pm

Players have picked tracks for when they score.

Hopefully hear a good few this season although some are surely lost bets/forfeits/picked by team mates.

https://www.edinburghrugby.org/the-club ... try-tracks
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:38 pm

Does anyone know how to watch after the match on premier sports?
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Frenchy on Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:06 pm

Darcy Graham's had his weetabix the day.
Frenchy
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:08 pm

Slow start, although Scarlets defence good.

Vellacott playing really well again.

Some cracking moves. Bennett hit a sweet line for his try, darcy looking really lively and Kinghorn doing pretty well against a good defence.

Decent game, atmosphere in the Lothian good as well once there was something to shout about!
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:17 pm

Vellacott is a bit lively, eh?
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby The Incredible Shug on Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:20 pm

We are f***ing purring.

Probably still going to badger it up from here though, but still. Looking good, Edinburgh!
Help! We're being held prisoner in a signature factory!
The Incredible Shug
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:24 pm

Great atmosphere, some really good attacking rugby and some very good performances.

I’ll watch it again tomorrow but that is a good start to the new era.

Vellacott is quite something

Darcy was sensational
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:21 pm

That was enjoyable :D

Darcy was on fire.

We are seeing the Vellacott we hoped we would get, superb performance.

Thought Sykes looked good. He could turn into a real quality second row.

Our defence at start of second half was really aggressive. Attacking shape miles better.

Mata looks fit, Bennett really sharp.
A few defensive laps aside a very good performance.

Atmosphere in the DAM was really good. Getting on top of ref, behind the team, what a difference.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Crichton Gunner on Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:22 pm

Lots of positives, but a couple of concerns; way too many penalties conceded, and we spent far too much time in our own half. That's not a recipe for success, normally. On the plus side, Vellacot and Darcy were electric, and Kinghorn was very good at 10. Thought the stadium was much better than I'd expected, really good atmosphere. Still have concerns about what it'll be like on a freezing and windy night, but a very positive start.
Crichton Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:49 pm

Crichton Gunner wrote:Lots of positives, but a couple of concerns; way too many penalties conceded, and we spent far too much time in our own half. That's not a recipe for success, normally. On the plus side, Vellacot and Darcy were electric, and Kinghorn was very good at 10. Thought the stadium was much better than I'd expected, really good atmosphere. Still have concerns about what it'll be like on a freezing and windy night, but a very positive start.

The first quarter was very frustrating as we couldn't get our hands on the ball or out of our own half, but Scarlets are a good side and they looked better than they did last season, more like the championship winners of a few years ago.

The number of penalties was bad, but I think we fell victim to a renewed focus on "side entry", some of them were marginal at best but give it five or six weeks and the refs will be back to ignoring it.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:06 pm

Good game - Scarlets were a good team to play high tempo against because they're set up for running rugby.

Vellacott was really good. Kinghorn at 10 was impressive. Both suit a kicking free match though so let's see when the Munsters come to town. Thought Lang made a really good impact. Graham and Bennett were good.

Schoeman was back to his best for me. Everyone looked to have fun. Good for Boyle to have the match winning tackle considering how his mate Darge looks like a total beast.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:33 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:Good game - Scarlets were a good team to play high tempo against because they're set up for running rugby.

Vellacott was really good. Kinghorn at 10 was impressive. Both suit a kicking free match though so let's see when the Munsters come to town. Thought Lang made a really good impact. Graham and Bennett were good.

Schoeman was back to his best for me. Everyone looked to have fun. Good for Boyle to have the match winning tackle considering how his mate Darge looks like a total beast.

When Darge went along the road I thought we must have kept the better one of the two, but Darge has barged his way into the 7 shirt at Glasgow, all blood and snotters, the way a proper 7 should.

Boyle has a difficult task now, he has to get himself ahead of Vunapola, Crosbie and Watson for the 7 shirt, or Ritchie, Bradbury, Haining to start at 6, not an enviable task.

It great to see Bennett playing well and scoring.

What a difference Blair has made already, there will be hiccoughs and stumbles along the way, especially with trying to convert BK, but I'm hopeful of a good season from a team worth watching
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Impega on Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:17 am

Thoroughly enjoyable afternoon.

Perhaps I'm getting too wrapped up in the joy of a tight victory against a good team, but it felt like the crowd were able to contribute to getting the result over the line in a way that couldn't have happened in Murrayfield. The atmosphere was terrific. Obviously a crowd needs something to shout about in the first place, and the team produced a really good attacking performance. Vellacott and Graham were both tremendous and I only recall muttering 'Oh, for christ's sake Blair' once or twice.

A concerning aspect was the ease at which Scarlets were able to spin the ball wide and create chances, with two of their tries (and a narrowly disallowed one) coming in that manner. They are very good at it though, and will trouble most teams with their approach.
Impega
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:43 am

Tichtheid wrote:
Friday Knight Lights wrote:Good game - Scarlets were a good team to play high tempo against because they're set up for running rugby.

When Darge went along the road I thought we must have kept the better one of the two, but Darge has barged his way into the 7 shirt at Glasgow, all blood and snotters, the way a proper 7 should.

Boyle has a difficult task now, he has to get himself ahead of Vunapola, Crosbie and Watson for the 7 shirt, or Ritchie, Bradbury, Haining to start at 6, not an enviable task.

What a difference Blair has made already, there will be hiccoughs and stumbles along the way, especially with trying to convert BK, but I'm hopeful of a good season from a team worth watching

I loved some of the simple stuff Blair had them doing. The Graham try was very cleverly worked - think I've seen similar done by the likes of the All Blacks and maybe Scotland in autumn? I can't remember. But also off a scrum Mata carrying wide off the base and Vellacott going pack and passing to a bullocking schoeman. Last year that's a Mata carry and box kick. Just little smart bits of play.

Yeah Darge is in a good spot Boyle has a huge amount of competition - maybe should look to move for a year or two.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby TheSmidge on Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:52 am

Tichtheid wrote:

Darge was fantastic on Friday, and very much looks like Hamish’s successor-in-waiting for Scotland (a mantle her inherits along with the Glasgow 7 shirt from Gordon). Boyle probably needs to show he can be versatile across the back row to get some more game time, particularly from the bench. Aside from Hamish, who is *just* a 7, all our other back rows seem comfortable playing 2 out of the 3 shirts - although Ritchie could conceivably be an adequate 8, there is no sense in playing him there at the moment as it is a waste of his spoiling talents. Therefore, a genuine 6/7/8 option would be a gap to fill and maybe this should be his target. I have a memory that Boyle had some game time at 8 for the U20s, though I could be wrong.
TheSmidge
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum