Edinburgh v Scarlets 1715 KO Saturday 25 Sep

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh v Scarlets 1715 KO Saturday 25 Sep

Postby Weegie on Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:37 am

Last night was my first trip to the new stadium.

I did find the pillars a nuisance, as did the people in front of me. We could not see one screen at all for pillars, and to see the other we had to lean to see round a pillar. And the screen we could see was too small. The sightlines were poorer than Murrrayfield as well, which we expected.

But the overall experience was tremendous.

On the way to the game I bumped into some lads I used to coach. They had been to sporadic Edinburgh games over the years, but now had season tickets as they had decided to give the new era a go. I met several other people at the game of like mind.

These are exactly the kind of people Edinburgh has struggled to attract in the past, the young school / club players and aficionados thereof. These are the long term fans of the future, so long may it continue.

Without going into detail, if Edinburgh serve up games like that, those giving it a chance will become stalwarts and bring their chums.

After the game I was chatting to some Super 6 players I know. Both Edinburgh and Glasgow are in talks with a number of Super 6 players. They seem to be talking about a variety of links to the clubs from a couple in talks about full contracts, through joint contracts with Super 6 teams, to less formal 'let's try it and see how it goes' type situations. Many of these will not come to fruition, but what surprised me a little was that both clubs are talking to players who they previously rejected. This was by previous regimes, but if any of these come off it will be a boost for Super 6 payers as it will show that if they do well enough at Super 6, they can get a second bite at the cherry. i
Weegie
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:48 am

@TheSmidge, I have to look this stuff up because I can never remember, but according to their itsrugby profiles, Darge was the one who played 8, Boyle’s U20s caps came as a 7.

Weegie, interesting post, it’s good to hear the Super 6 is doing what it was designed to do. I hope we can get some good props coming up through the system soon, as a country we are still light in that area
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:52 am

Cammy Hutchison a good example already from S6 didn't look out of place yesterday against a quality Scarlets centre pairing.

Good to think we still have boffelli, Watson, toolis to come in as well as Hoyland to come back who looked very good in preseason.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:21 pm

I’m watching it again now, Vellacott’s acceleration is scary for that break just before the 20 min mark, but Kinghorn out paces everyone including two Scarlets back three players who had good head starts to get to the ball first after the kick ahead, Bennett is up there too, he has his pace back.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter446 on Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:33 pm

After a slowish start and a wee worry when we went behind it turned out to be a good day, Vellacott was attacking in all directions, Darcy on Weetabix n superunleaded. They scored a couple with use of open space and one very good quick play by the 9, it was still the first competitive match so hopefully better to come. Atmosphere building and the commentator trying involve the crowd, cancan music a new touch which folk responding.
One clock not easy to see due the corner flag and the other? wrong angle, score on the screen easier to see this week, things are looking better, cold wet nights will be a test but a smaller stadium and closer crowd might just be ok. Or it might just be more layers on.
Pitfitter446
World Cup Star

Postby Weegie on Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:02 pm

Pitfitter446 wrote:Atmosphere building and the commentator trying involve the crowd, cancan music a new touch which folk responding.

The players chose the music to be played if they scored. That is what Graham chose.
Weegie
World Cup Star

Postby The Chiel on Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:41 am

Weegie wrote:
Pitfitter446 wrote:Atmosphere building and the commentator trying involve the crowd, cancan music a new touch which folk responding.

The players chose the music to be played if they scored. That is what Graham chose.

I've had a look at the track list via the link posted by The Feral Goat earlier in the thread. Many are by modern beat combos I'm not familiar with ( :lol: :lol: ), but I will certainly be avoiding whatever Pierce Phillips was drinking when he filled in the form ! :eek: :eek:
The Chiel
World Cup Star

Postby Weegie on Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:56 am

The Chiel wrote:
Weegie wrote:

I've had a look at the track list via the link posted by The Feral Goat earlier in the thread. Many are by modern beat combos I'm not familiar with ( :lol: :lol: ), but I will certainly be avoiding whatever Pierce Phillips was drinking when he filled in the form ! :eek: :eek:

I'd not seen that post. Please let WP score. I'd love to see what the Edinburgh crowd make of a bit of tieckiedraai uit de platteland.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CshdAh5a44k

Also not heard of most of that young person's music.
Weegie
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:14 am

It took three separate goes to re-watch the game, but I've done so now.

That Scarlets side have a good attacking set up that will hurt a lot of teams, they found a lot of space, particularly they were good at getting men over out wide early on. We did well to win that one.

A wee word about Lee-Roy Atalifo, the Welsh co-commentator really was bigging up their loose head, but L-RA came out on top, his set up is absolutely text book, I was nerdy enough to freeze frame the scrums in the first half when he was on our side - a very good performance from him.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:34 am

Tichtheid wrote:It took three separate goes to re-watch the game, but I've done so now.

That Scarlets side have a good attacking set up that will hurt a lot of teams, they found a lot of space, particularly they were good at getting men over out wide early on. We did well to win that one.

A wee word about Lee-Roy Atalifo, the Welsh co-commentator really was bigging up their loose head, but L-RA came out on top, his set up is absolutely text book, I was nerdy enough to freeze frame the scrums in the first half when he was on our side - a very good performance from him.

That's interesting about Atalifo, I had him pegged as squad filler when he came to us but he kept out De Bruin at the weekend.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:46 pm

Weegie wrote:
After the game I was chatting to some Super 6 players I know. Both Edinburgh and Glasgow are in talks with a number of Super 6 players. They seem to be talking about a variety of links to the clubs from a couple in talks about full contracts, through joint contracts with Super 6 teams, to less formal 'let's try it and see how it goes' type situations. Many of these will not come to fruition, but what surprised me a little was that both clubs are talking to players who they previously rejected. This was by previous regimes, but if any of these come off it will be a boost for Super 6 payers as it will show that if they do well enough at Super 6, they can get a second bite at the cherry. i

Does seem like the Super 6 is working as planned after that curtailed first season. Although I see that the clubs had a vote about scrapping it at the SRU AGM at the weekend.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:36 pm

Tichtheid wrote:

Their LH isn't the player he was before injury, but his strength was always more open play carrying than scrummaging.

Never rated him but TBF Atalifo scrummed very well in this game, as good as, no better, much better than we've seen him. Could be the Scarlets LH was SteveWalsh, or could be Atalifo has somehow improved with better coaching :) , either way your praise is justified
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:07 am

Good opener and to get 5 points on the board is great.

There will be times we need more control from 9 and 10 but we'll see if they can do it when that challenge comes.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:12 pm

Just managed to watch the game - great watch and if every game is like this then this season will be fun!

I thought our back row won the game for us, Big Bill carried all night and broke the gain line every time and Crosbie and Ritchie were ferocious in the breakdown. We did well given the late change bringing Blain into the team meant we were essentially attacking down one wing most of the night. The pace of Vellacot and Graham is going to give defences nightmare all season. Bennet looked right back to his top level, fit and hungry and he took his try very well, he is class and with Blair as coach I suspect he will be a very important player fo run this season.

Overall a good team performance, no real weaknesses and given we were giving a few new players and a new coach a debut we can only get better. We looked fitter, leaner than in previous seasons and it showed with our play in last 10 mins when we were still making tackles and keeping defensive shape. I really liked how we varied our game and were constantly changing our point of attack. Scarlets are a very good team and put out a strong team and were looking for the away win. We actually looked more like the Scarlets of old than they did which is no bad thing.

Going forward we will get better and get more used to the new gameplan. We will no doubt win a few and lose a few and will make mistakes in trying to establish our new style of play but it looks like we are heading in the right decision.
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:35 pm

I agree with pretty much everything you say there doedin.

Something I meant to mention the other day, the match stats are pleasing from an Edinburgh perspective bar one, we lost the penalty count 7-16.

From what I remember we got players isolated in the carry far too often, especially after a few of the big line breaks, we need to get the support there quicker and effect the clearout legally - we were pinged for side-entry a couple of times
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum