Embra v Stormers

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Embra v Stormers

Postby mike04 on Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:25 pm

Thought we ended up lucky to get a draw. Nothing in the forwards to scare the good teams. Le bruin a walking penalty at scrum time and offered nothing in attack. We need the locks to punch holes in attack. They tend to just run and collapse at the moment.
It’s a tough night for back row at the moment with little support from those in front of them.
Looking forward to Boffelli or Kinghorn in 15 jersey as Immelmann is steady but not the class of the alternatives
mike04
Established pro

Postby Pitfitter446 on Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:48 pm

After a cracking start we looked tired although I thought they were expert spoilers at the breakdown, was worried in the last few minutes but we didn’t fold and held on, glad we’re playing a couple of the stronger teams whilst they have stars away on international duty.
Pitfitter446
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:06 pm

Tichtheid wrote:
The Feral Goat wrote:Bah that is one that got away, think we played to their strength, should have tried to move them about more.

Their defence was good although maybe too good at times.

Don't get not using sheil and without another 10 on the bench we never looked like being able to change things up.

Thought VDW played well for the most part and not that lang or Hutchison played badly but Bennett was missed and offers a bit more. Will be good to have Kinghorn and boffelli available and give us options.

Aye, I really don't see the point of Shiel warming the bench, he offers real zip in his pass and pace to challenge a big pack like that - he's like the perfect guy to come on at 60/65 mins.

I'm really looking forward to having Boffelli available, the club site lists him at fullback. Moyano had one touch today and he launched a promising attack.

It was good to see Bradbury back and carrying hard, I do worry about flogging Bill the way we do

I think Bradbury's best role is as a 6 in the Jason White mould. I like Sykes he's a real physical nasty b*stard.

Totally agree about Shiel I guess Blair preferred as a 9 to go the film 80 or something like that? Doesn't make sense.

VdW was good for the two tries, kicking was fine. As good as he's played for a while. Lang and Hutchison were functional and we'll leave it there.

Agree about Immelman he's not at all convincing. Bofelli is a class international operator he's going to be one of the best in the league. Our back 3 is going to be very exciting with him Graham and AN Other.

Also all 8 props today were South African that's not good enough. I'm sorry but it is not. And Crosbie again a bit better but not where we need him form wise. Darge motm again was he? Shame he couldn't play here.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:20 pm

Agree on Sykes, physical and constantly talking SteveWalsh and getting in the oppos face, him and Ritchie must be horrible to play against.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby The Chiel on Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:34 pm

Good first half, very messy and error strewn second half from both teams. Not helped by a ref I don't think either team really trusted, particularly in terms of the scrum. And what's Italian for "in at the side" ?

Really thought only one team was going to win it second half and it wasn't Edinburgh. Some of that passing .. . I'd have put good money on that overtime DG going over - and well done the Stormers for keeping the game going to set it up.
Haven't watched it again but with JVDW only inches short with one penalty, I thought there was another slightly nearer and more central one that was kicked to the corner. In a no score second half I'd have thought it worth a go. Appreciate conditions not ideal, but still . . .

Enjoyed minifield though - will post on that idc
The Chiel
World Cup Star

Postby Weegie59 on Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:22 am

Re JVDW possibly having kicks at goal later on, it looked like he picked up an injury from a kick and then Immelmann was taking all of the kicks to touch. On that subject, when Mr Russell is in Edinburgh at the end of the month, he might spare a few minutes to explain the banana kick to our FB! Implies to me that we have limited options for the kicking duties.
Weegie59
Established pro

Postby Tichtheid on Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:12 am

Weegie59 wrote:Re JVDW possibly having kicks at goal later on, it looked like he picked up an injury from a kick and then Immelmann was taking all of the kicks to touch. On that subject, when Mr Russell is in Edinburgh at the end of the month, he might spare a few minutes to explain the banana kick to our FB! Implies to me that we have limited options for the kicking duties.

Kinghorn kicks well and Boffelli was Argentina’s goal kicker against the All Blacks - those games were the only Argentina ones I saw
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:34 am

Weegie59 wrote:Re JVDW possibly having kicks at goal later on, it looked like he picked up an injury from a kick and then Immelmann was taking all of the kicks to touch. On that subject, when Mr Russell is in Edinburgh at the end of the month, he might spare a few minutes to explain the banana kick to our FB! Implies to me that we have limited options for the kicking duties.

I thought Immelman took all the kicks right from the start, assumed it was because they think he has a bigger boot? He sliced almost all of them though.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby Weegie on Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:21 am

robdinsdale wrote:

I thought Immelman took all the kicks right from the start, assumed it was because they think he has a bigger boot? He sliced almost all of them though.

He did and he was poor to the extent you wonder why he was doing it.

One thing I had never noticed before, to the extent that I specifically watched for it when I did, was how slow Vellacott was getting the ball away. It was like he was channelling Pyrgos at times. I have not re-watched, but live there seemed to be a few occasions just crying for fast ball when he very deliberately took his time, by which time the Stormers defence was set.
Weegie
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:52 am

The halve backs again combined to give no real control in the second half. One out runners, poor decision making and no leadership coming to the fore. Lang can kick at goal so not taking the second shot at goal is a big mistep.

A few of the new signings really not impressing; Immelman has been very poor, Lang out of position at 13 and De Bruin could have been hooked earlier. If Immelman was Blair Kinghorn over the last few weeks there would ve a lust for blood in some quarters. With all fit, based on current form and assuming Bofelli plays as he does for Argentina then Immelman shouldn't be in the squad, and that is a problem. It is early yet so they all get the benefit of the doubt but they need to be better.

A second week of leaving a win out there when a bit of leadership would have seen them over the line.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:50 pm

BigD163 wrote:The halve backs again combined to give no real control in the second half. One out runners, poor decision making and no leadership coming to the fore. Lang can kick at goal so not taking the second shot at goal is a big mistep.

A few of the new signings really not impressing; Immelman has been very poor, Lang out of position at 13 and De Bruin could have been hooked earlier. If Immelman was Blair Kinghorn over the last few weeks there would ve a lust for blood in some quarters. With all fit, based on current form and assuming Bofelli plays as he does for Argentina then Immelman shouldn't be in the squad, and that is a problem. It is early yet so they all get the benefit of the doubt but they need to be better.

A second week of leaving a win out there when a bit of leadership would have seen them over the line.

To be fair to De Bruin last season he was playing loosehead rather than tighthead. Might take a while to get used to it.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:02 pm

I think Immelman and VDW kick off different feet so it was side specific for the touch kicking, could be wrong.

On the new signings I thought Immelman looked solid if unspectacular in preseason but has looked shaky in the league games I know players say the DAM is breezy but one high ball in particular he looked to be right under then missed it.

De Bruin it is his first start will give him a few more games but thought he looked a wee but unfit. Atalifo looks OK but to have Nel at 35 as our first choice TH is a bit of a worry.

Lang again 2nd start and at 13 hopefully Currie is back soon to provide proper 13 cover for Bennett and let lang settle at 12.

I thought it looked like Vellacott struggled a bit to play the slower more controlled game he looks like he has to fight his instincts to run the ball.

Even without their boks the stormers are a good strong physical team and we did a lot of good against them. Our defence was a bit leaky with some big holes left and we need to play a bit smarter at times but we are at least scoring tries. Bulls next week will be a similar challenge would be great if Bennett and Watson were both back for it.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby JDCSR on Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:26 am

I don't think we're in great nick at tighthead though a few good games from de Bruin (or Williams) and that could look different.

Nel is 35.

Atalifo is ok and has been a solid and reliable performer so far though also getting on at 33.

De Bruin comes highly rated and I'm sure will come good after a shaky start and playing last season at loosehead.

Angus Williams perhaps remains an unknown quantity.

Gamble is a huge prospect but seems to have trouble with injuries.

Seeing McCallum put in a couple of good games over at Glasgow has me wondering whether he could return when his short term deal ends assuming it was Cockers shout to release him. I think he'd fit back in well judging by his current form and they've Zander back soon to go with Berghan, Pieretto, McQuillan and young Walker who hasn't looked out of place on a couple sub appearances.
JDCSR
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:41 am

We probably need to give de Bruin a couple of games, I'm not sure the ref knew what was going on in the scrum on Saturday.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby The Chiel on Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:31 pm

Forgot to say it was nice to see Dave Denton delivering the match ball and getting such a good reception.
The Chiel
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum