Edinburgh v Cardiff Sat 8th Jan

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh v Cardiff Sat 8th Jan

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:10 am

toocoldhere wrote:
Trophyhunter wrote:Notwithstanding Cardiff being A bit rusty was really impressed with Edinburgh energy , tempo and skill levels . Wonderful performance from to new Killer Bees , Bennet and Bradbury but the whole squad with consistency in performance levels across the park .

Watching Glasgow game with its near all Southern Hemisphere backline.. SRU need to control some of the “central casting” here as trend is choking off routes for kids in our Academies. Not sure we needed another SH winger .

Looks at Edinburgh with it's all Southern Hemisphere backline....

12 starting backs between Glasgow and Edinburgh today - 3 born in Scotland. We absolutely have to develop more players.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:54 am

Charlie Shiel isn't far off starting at 9, Kinghorn is our best ten by a mile, Dean looked fantastic when he came on and certainly no down-grade from an excellent Lang. Bennett was our best back. Hoyland and Graham have been our best wings and, granted, Boffelli has been outstanding.

I widnae start roarin and greetin about our Scottish backs, just for the sake of it
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby JDCSR on Sun Jan 09, 2022 9:21 am

I was wondering recently whether George Taylor making the move over to Glasgow could make sense.

Our centre options are well covered by the below:

12: Lang, Dean, Hutchinson
13: Bennett, Johnston, Currie, Immelman

Without Horne and Grigg Glasgow have only:

12: Johnson, McDowell, Fergusson
13: Tuipolutu, Steyn

Given Steyn also pops up on the wing and Taylor can play both 12 and 13 he might fit in quite well there, he looked very good last season. Would give them a next Scots born back too. :P
Last edited by JDCSR on Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JDCSR
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:22 am

I think there is a high chance that at least one of Johnston or Dean won’t be around after the summer. The Immelmann can cover a range of positions but not at the sane time.

I really like Taylor, he has never let us down, but he hasn’t been able to nail a shirt, last season was his chance and he looked very good until he was assaulted and missed a big chunk of the season. (Maybe that was season before?)

I’d keep him, but at the same time, he is 25 now and he needs to play. He is similar to Stafford mcdiwell in that respect, it’s where a loan to a championship club or our tie up with LS could have been used better.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:35 pm

Good thinking about George Taylor who had looked so promisingbefore his injuries.
By the way think you're forgetting Matt Currie in that summary of centres!
We are looking a bit overstocked (no wonder Venter moved on).
Talking of centres a shout out-as mentioned by a previous poster-to Chris Dean. Came on after 55mins-having I think had about 5 mins of action since pre-season games-and I thought had a marvellous cameo in everything he did.Very unlucky not to score at the death.
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:11 pm

Good win. Lots of positives.

Bradbury piling on the pressure for the national 8 jersey. Darge doing similar to Watson who was quiet.

Bennett unlikely to grab the 13 shirt ahead of Harris but certainly deserving of a call up.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby JDCSR on Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:01 pm

Ah thank you for reminding me about Currie! It was actually his presence which lead me to think Taylor was some way off the starting XV. I've added him now.

In a parallel universe where we have a third pro team McDowell and Taylor would make a very good partnership I reckon, just a shame we've only two teams to spread what looks like a good spread of centres around! I do like Taylor a lot I just think he'd get more gametime down the road and we've three good parternships:

1st choice: Lang and Bennett
Solid backup: Dean and Johnstone
Up and coming: Hutchinson and Currie

With Immelman able to cover too there isn't really any situation I'd prefer Taylor getting gametime over Currie at 13 as an example. Whereas for Glasgow he'd be part of a group of 6 where the first choice pairing may well need rested post Scotland games, Steyn frequently plays wing and Fergusson looks mostly a solid backup and McDowell despite early promise hasn't played much in an age.

Can see the knock on benefits of Scott going South too freeing up at least the squad space for the likes of Currie and Hutchinson.

Anyway returning to yesterday, good game - really starting to enjoy the Blair era and feeling enthused about the future!
JDCSR
World Cup Star

Postby JDCSR on Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:03 pm

dolf_lundgren wrote:he looked very good until he was assaulted and missed a big chunk of the season. (Maybe that was season before?)

Yeah that was a real shame, he was on a real upward trajectory at that point and had he carried on like that you wonder what could be different now.
JDCSR
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter446 on Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:53 pm

Martin Bell wrote:
Careful what you wish for: http://www.edinburghgunners.org.uk/matchday/reports

The Baywatch metaphor needs more work.

We have Magnus Bradbury, Mark Bennet, and Martin Bell all doing fine work, anyone else see a pattern? :P
Pitfitter446
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:59 pm

Tichtheid wrote:Charlie Shiel isn't far off starting at 9, Kinghorn is our best ten by a mile, Dean looked fantastic when he came on and certainly no down-grade from an excellent Lang. Bennett was our best back. Hoyland and Graham have been our best wings and, granted, Boffelli has been outstanding.

I widnae start roarin and greetin about our Scottish backs, just for the sake of it

I don't think anyone is mad about having really good SQ and NSQ backs coming through at Edinburgh and Glasgow. But, the SRU need to be mindful that development through schools and clubs remains imperative and guys have chances. I don't think we can rely on scouting grandparents forever.

Agree about Dean I really hope he gets a new deal. And about Kinghorn another fantastic outing. Bennett's best game in a long time too.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Sun Jan 09, 2022 3:07 pm

On the centres think only JJ over 30 so actually quite good age profile across the group.

Lang and Bennett are the only ones likely to be on chunkier wages.

Game time aside there may not be any need to move any on, it may come down to the individuals who are out of contract and what they are looking for eg Bennett a couple years in France or Taylor/Dean more game time elsewhere.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun Jan 09, 2022 3:14 pm

Pete Horne has some very interesting comments about Kinghorn and Bradbury on the BBC Scotland rugby podcast. He suggested that Kinghorn got demotivated under cockers - think we all saw that - and was only signing 1 year extensions which is interesting. He also suggested Bradbury has to block out the distractions and give being pro 100% effort week in week out.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Sun Jan 09, 2022 3:54 pm

I have heard it said that Hastings moving away was good for him, Bradbury and Kinghorn, the suggestion was they were very sociable.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:42 am

Bennett had a really classy performance, I thought. An outstanding finish for his first try, and two great breaks for Boffelli's try and his second.

Moyano is a lively player, isn't he? Doesn't look fast but seems elusive.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:53 am

dolf_lundgren wrote:I have heard it said that Hastings moving away was good for him, Bradbury and Kinghorn, the suggestion was they were very sociable.

Took me a while to cotton on to the reference to "very sociable"! Clearly very pc.An earlier poster referred to "distractions" affecting Bradbury.
Anyway now very clear that at 26 he still has it in him to have a stellar international career if he sets his mind to it. Look I like Fagerson who is probably a step up from Haining and Bayliss but Bradbury at his best is capable of a higher level and Townsend will be missing a big chance if he doesn't have him pencilled in to start at 8 against England.
liveinhope
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum