Edinburgh v Cardiff Sat 8th Jan

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Edinburgh v Cardiff Sat 8th Jan

Postby Tichtheid on Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:19 pm

I've just read a two-week old story in TOSL on Blair Kinghorn's re-signing that says he was left out of the first 1872 game because of a "minor quad injury", that's very good news, I was afraid it was because of getting Mike Tysoned by HP's boot against Benetton.

Hopefully he will be available for Saturday. Twitter has pics of McInally, Bradbury, Watson and Bennett in training, so presumably they are all fit.

We will want to go full bore at this,

Schoey, McInally, Nel, Sykes/Hodgson, Gilchrist, Ritchie, Watson, Bradbury
Vellacott, Kinghorn, Hoyland, Lang, Bennett, Graham, Boffelli

Cherry, Venter, Atalifo, Sykes/Hodgson, Crosbie, vdW, Currie, Pyrgos

Of course that is assuming everyone is fit and that the game goes ahead.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Re: Edinburgh v Cardiff Sat 8th Jan

Postby dolf_lundgren on Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:06 pm

Yes, every game is important, but this one is very winnable and we need to keep momentum.

Things are going to get tough with trips to Ireland etc, so need to stockpile as many points as possible.

Any word on Hoylands injury?

I'm always tempted to play Crosbie, nuts to even think about leavin gout Ritchie or Watson, but I think he really adds more bite to the back row.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:35 pm

Tichtheid wrote:
We will want to go full bore at this,

After not playing for a month, the strongest team absolutely will need a run out. There'll be scope to rotate in the European games (if they go ahead).
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter446 on Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:10 pm

Looking forward to this one, on tv unfortunately, biggest, fittest, hungriest team has to go out and get the points, this will get tougher when we meet the Irish sides so points in the bag are king.
Seem to remember Hoyland’s injury will take more time yet.
Pitfitter446
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:58 am

At the time Blair said "months" for both Mata and Hoyland.(Subsequently Haining mentioned in an interview that Mata's injury was an ACL.)
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:12 am

I didn't realise Hoyland's injury was so bad, he's had rotten luck and was playing so well.

Moyano, then, who isn't exactly a poor option.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:54 am

This is where I think the club coaches are put in a slightly tricky situation.

Crosbie has been very good for Edinburgh this year and arguably been better than Ritchie and Watson for Edinburgh but the national team will be wanting Ritchie and Watson up to speed for the 6N.

For me Crosbie, or any player who has performed well all season, deserves to keep the jersey but appreciate the difficulties in selection.

Second row selection and Currie v Bennett is a close battle too. Wouldn't be a surprise to see them give Young some game time off the bench now he is fit.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:01 pm

BigD163 wrote:This is where I think the club coaches are put in a slightly tricky situation.

Crosbie has been very good for Edinburgh this year and arguably been better than Ritchie and Watson for Edinburgh but the national team will be wanting Ritchie and Watson up to speed for the 6N.

For me Crosbie, or any player who has performed well all season, deserves to keep the jersey but appreciate the difficulties in selection.

Second row selection and Currie v Bennett is a close battle too. Wouldn't be a surprise to see them give Young some game time off the bench now he is fit.

Currie v Bennett is very close indeed, and I wouldn't complain if Crosbie started over Watson, their form would put them in that pecking order.

Watson is under pressure from Darge for the Scotland lineup, too.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:32 pm

Tichtheid wrote:
BigD163 wrote:This is where I think the club coaches are put in a slightly tricky situation.

Currie v Bennett is very close indeed, and I wouldn't complain if Crosbie started over Watson, their form would put them in that pecking order.

Watson is under pressure from Darge for the Scotland lineup, too.

I'm not sure Watson was fully fit when he came back for the autumn tests. This enforced rest might have been good for him.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter446 on Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:39 pm

Shouldn’t the team picked be for the benefit of Edinburgh rather than the national side?, much as I want to see Scotland winning would the Edinburgh fans want to settle for ‘second’ best?
Pitfitter446
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:43 pm

Pitfitter446 wrote:Shouldn’t the team picked be for the benefit of Edinburgh rather than the national side?, much as I want to see Scotland winning would the Edinburgh fans want to settle for ‘second’ best?

Ideally, but in practice it's the national side that earns the money that pays the wages.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:44 pm

robdinsdale wrote:
Pitfitter446 wrote:Shouldn’t the team picked be for the benefit of Edinburgh rather than the national side?, much as I want to see Scotland winning would the Edinburgh fans want to settle for ‘second’ best?

Ideally, but in practice it's the national side that earns the money that pays the wages.

Not that I think there's loads of interference but I am sure there are conversations that happen.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Thu Jan 06, 2022 3:48 pm

I agree, but even some club fans would be "blinded" by the view national team starter > club player.

Of course I don't think anyone is saying Crosbie is a better player than Ritchie or Watson, more that he has been in better form and I think at some point form needs to be rewarded.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby Trophyhunter on Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:38 pm

Expect Watson to start and Bradbury too . Crosbie has improved performances over last few games from pretty average level earlier in season so may also edge Ritchie who may well be returning from injury. Am at a loss to recall Currie hitting his full potential thus far at this level so expect Bennett to start.
Trophyhunter
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:47 am

Tough crowd, my recollection is of Crosbie being excellent in most of the games he has played this season.

Currie is a 20yr old academy player who has made 5 appearances, so not sure what you were expecting from him? Agree Bennett should start, but that's a pretty scathing comment.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Next

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum