Ospreys v EDI Sat 29th 1715 Ko

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Ospreys v EDI Sat 29th 1715 Ko

Postby The Feral Goat on Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:39 pm

Not sure who if anyone we will get back from Scotland camp for this match and will perhaps depend on injuries clearing up or not but think we should still get decent team out with mix of youth/experience, something like...

15. Henry Immelman
14. Emiliano Boffelli
13. Matt Currie
12. Chris Dean/Hutchinson
11. Freddie Owsley*
10. VDW
9. Charlie Shiel

1. Venter
2. Dave Cherry
3. Angus Williams
4. Glen Young
5. Marshall Sykes
6. Kunavaula
7. Boyle
8. Muncaster
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Re: Ospreys v EDI Sat 29th 1715 Ko

Postby Trophyhunter on Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:39 pm

That’s a Pretty Decent team . If Chris Harris is in pole for Scotland suspect Bennet might be released . Possibly Hodgson also ?
Trophyhunter
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:58 am

Would be happy enough with that. Is Lang fit?

As long as not just keeping everyone in a bubble, Haining may well be released too.

Ive said before that I think we are a different team with Bofelli at Full back, he adds a lot of threat there. Its interesting that 2 of the signings made while Cockers was still in charge, Vellacott we may never have seen and Immelman who would have been perfect for a Cockers style but doesn't quite fit our style now, sliding doors moment for both of them perhaps.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:54 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:Not sure who if anyone we will get back from Scotland camp for this match and will perhaps depend on injuries clearing up or not but think we should still get decent team out with mix of youth/experience, something like...

15. Henry Immelman
14. Emiliano Boffelli
13. Matt Currie
12. Chris Dean/Hutchinson
11. Freddie Owsley*
10. VDW
9. Charlie Shiel

1. Venter
2. Dave Cherry
3. Angus Williams
4. Glen Young
5. Marshall Sykes
6. Kunavaula
7. Boyle
8. Muncaster

Not a million miles away, Bradbury at 6, Muncaster on the pine, Mesu at 8.
Pyrgos and JvdW, Hutchinson it is in the centre, Darcy on the wing is the surprising pick.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby mike04 on Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:57 pm

So Bradbury Graham Bennett and Vellacott not in Calcutta cup squad if released to play on Saturday?
mike04
Established pro

Postby liveinhope on Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:00 pm

That's much stronger than expected.Not sure what to make of it from a Scotland perspective though.Bradbury and Graham both starting? Many reckon they would be starters next week against England so big risk especially with so many English based players bound to be playing over the weekend. (Also Bennett and Hodgson on the bench yet they are unlikely to be in the 23.)
Glasgow's selection might give more of a hint-eg. lets see how Matt Fagerson and Steyn are treated.)
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:08 pm

Glasgow team out now-
Steyn starts with Bhatti on bench.
So looks like Fagerson at 8 next week-big disappointment if Bradbury not even on bench.
Darge also held back so suggests a 6:2 split with Steyn and Bennett both involved tomorrow. With Haining listed as "unavailable" ie injured or isolating and Bayliss currently on HIA protocols I wonder if Christie is also lined up for bench duty? Odd as would be no proper No.8 cover unless Bayliss recovers.I'd have Bradbury well before Bayliss (and Fagerson).
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby Weegie on Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:14 pm

Edinburgh Rugby team to face Ospreys at Swansea.com Stadium in Round 11 of the United Rugby Championship
Saturday 29 January, kick off 5.15pm – live on Premier Sports

15. Henry Immelman (8)

14. Darcy Graham (45)
13. Matt Currie (6) VICE-CAPTAIN
12. Cammy Hutchison (8)
11. Emiliano Boffelli (6)

10. Jaco van der Walt (77)
9. Henry Pyrgos (58) CAPTAIN

1. Boan Venter (17)
2. Dave Cherry (46) VICE CAPTAIN
3. Angus Williams (7)
4. Marshall Sykes (15)
5. Glen Young (2)
6. Magnus Bradbury (103)
7. Connor Boyle (12)
8. Mesulame Kunavula (16)

Replacements:

16. Adam McBurney (2)
17. Harrison Courtney (2)
18. Lee-Roy Atalifo (16)
19. Jamie Hodgson (32)
20. Ben Muncaster (4)
21. Ben Vellacott (10)
22. Charlie Savala (7)
23. Mark Bennett (61)

Unavailable: Luan de Bruin, Luke Crosbie, Nick Haining, Damien Hoyland, James Lang, Viliame Mata, Ramiro Moyano, Ben Toolis
Weegie
World Cup Star

Postby Trophyhunter on Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:27 pm

No complaints about that team do no excuses not to come back without a win or at worst a bonus point . Surprised on Darcy , thought he was looking terrific in last few matches . Looks like Hutchinson has edged out Dean which surprises me as I think Dean is the more complete player. That said he Hutchinson carried really well last week and it would be unfair to drop him.
Trophyhunter
World Cup Star

Postby Weegie on Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:29 pm

I'd not noticed at first that Currie is vice captain. Hopefully the message it sends is if you are good enough the selections will come.
Weegie
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:52 pm

mike04 wrote:So Bradbury Graham Bennett and Vellacott not in Calcutta cup squad if released to play on Saturday?

Toony definitely not on the Bradbury bandwagon then.

George Horne is starting for Glasgow so maybe Vellacott is more likely to be in the 23.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:55 pm

liveinhope wrote:That's much stronger than expected.Not sure what to make of it from a Scotland perspective though.Bradbury and Graham both starting? Many reckon they would be starters next week against England so big risk especially with so many English based players bound to be playing over the weekend. (Also Bennett and Hodgson on the bench yet they are unlikely to be in the 23.)
Glasgow's selection might give more of a hint-eg. lets see how Matt Fagerson and Steyn are treated.)

Not sure we can read too much into 6N selection i think players have been retained where the clubs have depth to cover but likes of back 3 DVDM and Kyle Rowe were both ill/injured which only left Hogg and Graham as back 3 although Maitland now called up and i think both above likely to be fit.

In our back row we have Crosbie, Haining and Mata injured, Ritchie and Watson with Scotland. All the rest i think are involved Saturday so start Bradbury take him off at HT and Muncaster is able to cover 6/8. Glasgow better postioned to cover Fagerson absence.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby toocoldhere on Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:04 pm

robdinsdale wrote:
mike04 wrote:So Bradbury Graham Bennett and Vellacott not in Calcutta cup squad if released to play on Saturday?

George Horne is starting for Glasgow so maybe Vellacott is more likely to be in the 23.

Horne not in the Scotland squad
toocoldhere
Established pro

Postby robdinsdale on Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:08 pm

toocoldhere wrote:
robdinsdale wrote:

Horne not in the Scotland squad

Oops :oops:
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:14 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:
liveinhope wrote:That's much stronger than expected.Not sure what to make of it from a Scotland perspective though.Bradbury and Graham both starting? Many reckon they would be starters next week against England so big risk especially with so many English based players bound to be playing over the weekend. (Also Bennett and Hodgson on the bench yet they are unlikely to be in the 23.)

Not sure we can read too much into 6N selection i think players have been retained where the clubs have depth to cover but likes of back 3 DVDM and Kyle Rowe were both ill/injured which only left Hogg and Graham as back 3 although Maitland now called up and i think both above likely to be fit.

In our back row we have Crosbie, Haining and Mata injured, Ritchie and Watson with Scotland. All the rest i think are involved Saturday so start Bradbury take him off at HT and Muncaster is able to cover 6/8. Glasgow better postioned to cover Fagerson absence.

Both vdm and Rowe are playing for their clubs this week.

I think we can assume with Bradbury appearing this week but Watson, Ritchie, Fagerson and Darge not appearing Bradbury is not starting 8 for Scotland. Huge mistake from Toonie for my money but that's what it is.

Interesting side, judging by the backs I think we'll see more function than flair.

Good luck Connor Boyle! A big game will be very well received.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Next

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum