v Pau Friday 8th of April

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: v Pau Friday 8th of April

Postby Impega on Sat Apr 09, 2022 9:31 am

Definitely took their collective foot off the gas in the second-half, but given the game was long since done and dusted that is to be expected. The injuries to De Bruin and Venter are a bit concerning, the latter in particular did not look at all good.

Someone who stood out for me was Matt Currie. From a defensive point of view he was absolutely exceptional and is a really tremendous reader of the game. He also got the ball in hand a good deal more than recent times and showed some very nice touches.

Pyrgos had a good game too, and whilst I'm not suggesting he ought to be first-choice for club or country I think he still has a more intelligent rugby brain than any other Scottish nine.
Impega
World Cup Star

Postby Martin Bell on Sat Apr 09, 2022 12:28 pm

Short notes of events at Minifield: http://www.edinburghgunners.org.uk/matchday/reports
Proud former sponsor of McKane legend @m4gnet_ and future Glasgow legend Rory Darge and current sponsor of @Muncaster_Ben
#lovinthescrummin
Martin Bell
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Sun Apr 10, 2022 9:41 am

Martin Bell wrote:Short notes of events at Minifield: http://www.edinburghgunners.org.uk/matchday/reports

Great stuff Martin.

I was a little down beat at the end of last season when we lost a couple of Lions, but Ramiro "Pampas Predator" Moyano almost has me asking, "Duhan who?" He's a completely different type of player obviously, but 9 tries in eleven games is not to be sniffed at. Whilst I'm not going to spend too long on what might have been, you can't help but wonder what the big laddie would have been doing at the sharp end of this current midfield and how they are playing, his 32 tries in 67 games for Edinburgh suggest he would have been in his element in this team.

Anyway, bygones, Matt Currie is going to be a serious player as is Boyle. Hank seems to be a little up and down this season but he did have a good one on Friday. I hope we get some good news regarding the injuries and especially the props during the week. I punched the air and let out a yelp when I saw WP score on the highlights video, Lang may his lum reek.

So, Bath it is next week. We should respect them but not fear them.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby JDCSR on Sun Apr 10, 2022 10:42 am

Lang and Dean at 12 with Currie and Bennett at 13 is as good as I can remember our options at centre.

Fingers crossed for some swift recoveries in the frontrow though or at least an opportunity for big Euan McLaren if not.
JDCSR
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Sun Apr 10, 2022 10:56 am

I've been watching the highlights again and the Pau try is an absolute stoater. I had to replay it a couple of times to see exactly what they did, the dummy run from the 15, the delayed pass from the 10 and the 23 coming in late as late can be to avoid any attention from the defence - beautifully executed.

We scored off a similar move against Dragons, I think it was. Pyrgos with beautifully delayed pass back, it may have been Damo who scored, someone with a better memory than me will correct me, I'm sure.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Martin Bell on Sun Apr 10, 2022 1:45 pm

It was a lovely score, wasn't it? Happily, an aberration on Friday. Looking forward to Bath.
Proud former sponsor of McKane legend @m4gnet_ and future Glasgow legend Rory Darge and current sponsor of @Muncaster_Ben
#lovinthescrummin
Martin Bell
World Cup Star

Postby sammy on Sun Apr 10, 2022 3:53 pm

Is the Bath game included in the Season Ticket?
Sammy
sammy
World Cup Star

Postby Martin Bell on Sun Apr 10, 2022 4:07 pm

Unfortunately not. But you do have a pre-sale window until 1000 on Monday morning to buy tickets for your existing seats, after which they can be bought by others. It should come up if you log in to your SRU ticketing account.
#lovinthescrummin
Martin Bell
World Cup Star

Postby sammy on Sun Apr 10, 2022 6:01 pm

Thanks Martin, will logon and secure my seat.
Sammy
sammy
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Sun Apr 10, 2022 10:33 pm

yet another addendum to my post about the game, sorry, I know youse were waiting - apparently Freddie O was scoring tries like billyo at Melrose at the weekend

He's a wee bit long in the tooth to be sent to the Scotland 7s for a year, but a few games wouldn't hurt, I'm sure
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Mon Apr 11, 2022 8:54 am

Tichtheid wrote:yet another addendum to my post about the game, sorry, I know youse were waiting - apparently Freddie O was scoring tries like billyo at Melrose at the weekend

He's a wee bit long in the tooth to be sent to the Scotland 7s for a year, but a few games wouldn't hurt, I'm sure

Mike Blair was talking a wee while back about him maybe getting sent to the 7s for a bit so it could be on the agenda.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:25 am

Normally I would agree re sending him to the 7s, but he is 25 now, so he cant really afford to lose another year. It helped the likes of Lee Jones re-find his mojo when he lost a bit of form and confidence, I dont think Owsley lacks confidence though, so would 7s really help?

I like him going forward but his defence needs work. Havent seen it, but by all accounts his red card yesterday was harsh.

It may just be he is a good squad player who is able to step up and do a job when needed without really challenging the starters. Nothing wrong with that, and he always poses a threat.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:28 pm

robdinsdale wrote:
Tichtheid wrote:yet another addendum to my post about the game, sorry, I know youse were waiting - apparently Freddie O was scoring tries like billyo at Melrose at the weekend

Mike Blair was talking a wee while back about him maybe getting sent to the 7s for a bit so it could be on the agenda.

His red was very questionable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxH3Gwup_fo

Few things to unpick on this one. Why didn't the TJ call in sooner rather than wasting time. In 7s this is important, lots of time was lost.

Secondly, either why hasn't the ref penalised it at the time or stood up to his TJ? He had the best view in the house.

Thirdly, Owlsey could go lower, but in 7s it is often more important to target the ball. Risk taken by the player.

Fourthly because I am on a roll, the player showed no sign of a head knock, head didn't snap back and he didn't get up showing any effects of the hit. So arguably not at force.

I am all for player protection, but I find that call very harsh.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby Trophyhunter on Mon Apr 11, 2022 1:34 pm

It was a ridiculous call he has clearly tried to dislodge the ball and contact is clumsy at worst .Nobody sees or reacts to it in real time and even the expert eye of Lee Jones in commentary is at a loss to explain it.
Trophyhunter
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Mon Apr 11, 2022 2:48 pm

Trophyhunter wrote:It was a ridiculous call he has clearly tried to dislodge the ball and contact is clumsy at worst .Nobody sees or reacts to it in real time and even the expert eye of Lee Jones in commentary is at a loss to explain it.

You still get a red card if you are clumsy, but I'm not convinced that there was even much in the way of head contact (with the angle that we have on the footage).
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum