Edinburgh Vs Pests 7/5/22

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Edinburgh Vs Pests 7/5/22

Postby dolf_lundgren on Fri May 06, 2022 11:30 am

Intrgiuing selection I would think, do we go full bore as its knock out rugby, or are we better to rotate and give more focus to the 1872? I think we will rotate a little. Although we have got a blank week after and then after that there is another before the QF on the 4th June.

Id like us to have a real go at this game, realisticlaly we arent going to win the URC, so this game and the Glasgow game are our season. If we lose these then its been exciting but ultimately not ahuge amount of progress. If we get past his game and win the mini group to qualify for the big cup I think its been a good year, fine margins.

Injuries will be telling, we really could do with Lang back, Darcy would also make a difference. Not sure about the hookers, but both looked bad and I would guess unlikely to play.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Re: Edinburgh Vs Pests 7/5/22

Postby Trophyhunter on Fri May 06, 2022 1:07 pm

On the evidence of last week there is Hee Haw difference between Lang and Dean imo. Our biggest challenge will be upfront as they have a really strong pack . Hopefully the super fast surface of the Dam will not suit their big guys. Robson at SH is a terrific player with a fabulous break and fast pass and he will ask questions with good ball. Kiwi Gopperth in the centre is quality , hugely experienced ( ex Leinster ) and has a fantastic boot . Crosbie and Hoyland now having had a full game last week should be sharper tools tomorrow. We will need it.
Trophyhunter
World Cup Star

Postby Impega on Fri May 06, 2022 1:12 pm

The injury list is unbelievable:

Luan de Bruin, Dave Cherry, Darcy Graham, Nick Haining, Henry Immelman, James Lang, Viliame Mata, Stuart McInally, Ben Muncaster, Ramiro Moyano, Marshall Sykes (suspension), Jamie Ritchie, Ben Toolis, Boan Venter, Angus Williams, Glen Young.

Given the above we are left with the somewhat unlikely vice-captaincy duo of Kinghorn and McBurney!

Wasps have a very good team but if we can maintain at least parity up front then I fancy us to win at home.
Impega
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Fri May 06, 2022 1:14 pm

We are down about 8 first team choices (Graham, Immelman, Lang, Mata, McInally, Muncaster, Moyano, Ritchie) and bench players (Cherry, Haining, Sykes, Venter, Williams and Young) and team reflects that. Wasps have 4 guys on the injury list and are going all out for this match. I suspect we will really struggle up front and to get good clean ball for a lot of the game. Our usual failing of giving away cheap penalties to let them kick for touch and get rolling maul going is the main danger for us. They have a first choice pack playing, in Launchbury a top class line out operator and a strong ball carrying back row. We will do well to win this game even at home, on a fast pitch and in good warm conditions.
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Fri May 06, 2022 1:28 pm

Trophyhunter wrote:On the evidence of last week there is Hee Haw difference between Lang and Dean imo. Our biggest challenge will be upfront as they have a really strong pack . Hopefully the super fast surface of the Dam will not suit their big guys. Robson at SH is a terrific player with a fabulous break and fast pass and he will ask questions with good ball. Kiwi Gopperth in the centre is quality , hugely experienced ( ex Leinster ) and has a fantastic boot . Crosbie and Hoyland now having had a full game last week should be sharper tools tomorrow. We will need it.

Gopperth was like a one-man team when he was playing 10 at Newcastle, must be cracking on a bit age-wise now though.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Sat May 07, 2022 2:59 pm

Got to win these games was there for the taking even with load of injuries and some bizarre officiating...how can making 30-40m not be advantage over?
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter446 on Sat May 07, 2022 3:39 pm

French mind reasoning beyond me, still a couple of chances butchered with ball not going to hand, looked good when it did but not always when it mattered, next game up is the big one, 1872 cup needs to be at home in Edinburgh trophy cabinet.
Pitfitter446
World Cup Star

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum