Autumn squad

All International, District, Premiership, Top 14, Super Rugby and other rugby chat

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Autumn squad

Postby The Feral Goat on Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:02 pm

Dont think we should necessarily think of it as players being dropped but in this case the need to see if McLean can deliver against top class opposition. We know Graham, Hogg and VDM can so give McLean the chance, all good for experience and depth.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Sat Nov 13, 2021 10:46 pm

Bullied today, big time.

SA are the only team I can see doing that to us but our accuracy was SteveWalsh, throwing panicked offloads etc. Easy to say with hindsight but not convinced the game plan or selection today was correct, had so little go forward, no-one able to dominate the gain line felt like a pack trying not to concede ground.

Remain unconvinced by Hogg as captain.

Tough learning experience for some of the younger players.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Sun Nov 14, 2021 3:53 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:Bullied today, big time.

SA are the only team I can see doing that to us but our accuracy was SteveWalsh, throwing panicked offloads etc. Easy to say with hindsight but not convinced the game plan or selection today was correct, had so little go forward, no-one able to dominate the gain line felt like a pack trying not to concede ground.

I think Hogg has been out best captain for quite some time. Tends to mostly choose the aggressive option showing faith in his team which I quite like.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:48 pm

We got outmuscled by SA and any ball that came our way wasn't very clean and backs were always on their heels. was v disappointed with Z Fagerson, I thought he would have at least held his own in the scrums but he was the weak link. Im not sure he was getting the power from behind him that Johny Gray and Cummings normally provide but he struggled all game long. Haining looked off the pace but there again so did Watson when he came on. Line out was a disaster, McInally's throwing was poor but options chosen didnt help. If you don't win the line out or the scrum then you don't win the game. I was a bit disappointed with both the tries we conceded, defensive errors at the root of them both.However our defence close in was very good.

All in all a disappointing game and result - we badly miss Gray and Cummings in the boiler house, McInally is way off form, Fagerson needs to up his scrummaging technique and we still need the ball carrying 6/8 - perhaps need to give Bradbury chance again?
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:21 pm

doedin wrote:We got outmuscled by SA and any ball that came our way wasn't very clean and backs were always on their heels. was v disappointed with Z Fagerson, I thought he would have at least held his own in the scrums but he was the weak link. Im not sure he was getting the power from behind him that Johny Gray and Cummings normally provide but he struggled all game long. Haining looked off the pace but there again so did Watson when he came on. Line out was a disaster, McInally's throwing was poor but options chosen didnt help. If you don't win the line out or the scrum then you don't win the game. I was a bit disappointed with both the tries we conceded, defensive errors at the root of them both.However our defence close in was very good.

All in all a disappointing game and result - we badly miss Gray and Cummings in the boiler house, McInally is way off form, Fagerson needs to up his scrummaging technique and we still need the ball carrying 6/8 - perhaps need to give Bradbury chance again?

I mean maybe Bradbury should become an actually good ball carrier before we rely on him to be a big carrier?

We just got beaten up. You can't win then the forwards take their medicine like that. Feel for Matt Scott that's probably all she wrote for him and Scotland now.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:05 pm

BigD163 wrote:
The Feral Goat wrote:Bullied today, big time.

I think Hogg has been out best captain for quite some time. Tends to mostly choose the aggressive option showing faith in his team which I quite like.

Sorry I was not clear, not Hogg personally, but having your captain at 15 I don't like. When the pack were getting pumped and conceding pens I think you need the captain in amongst it chatting to the ref pointing out stuff at scrum set etc. At 15 he is a long way from a lot of the action.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Previous

Return to All other rugby chat