Cockers new deal

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Cockers new deal

Postby biffer on Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:13 pm

Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Re: Cockers new deal

Postby liveinhope on Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:47 pm

Brilliant!
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:50 pm

Very good news.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:48 pm

Excellent news!
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter446 on Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:48 pm

Good news offsets the failure not to get tickets for Friday night, big time.
Pitfitter446
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:16 pm

Clermont rumoured to be interested in Cockerill

https://www.midi-olympique.fr/2021/03/1 ... 427689.php
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:22 pm

In all seriousness might be a good time for a break. I think Cockerill has been fantastic overall. But this season has shown we need to expand the gameplan and start bringing through youngsters and I don't know if he can do that. What's more I don't know if he wants to do it.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:26 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:Clermont rumoured to be interested in Cockerill

https://www.midi-olympique.fr/2021/03/1 ... 427689.php

I think it is time for Douglas Struth, Cockerill and probably Dodson to have a grown up discussion about his future if this is a real opportunity.

Cockerill has rebuilt after the previous regime but looking back at the end of his time with the Tigers it has a similar feeling and complaints to now.

Clermont would be a good gig for him.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:09 pm

I'd agree with the above, Cockerill's had some successes, but when things go wrong it feels like the answer is try the same thing but harder. Game's moved past our style, and we probably need a new approach going forward.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby JDCSR on Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:00 pm

Concur with the above. And to be honest I've had enough of watching the current iteration of rugby we play. Kudos for the period it was succesful and perhaps even slightly easier on the eye but the box kicks are making my eyes bleed now.
JDCSR
World Cup Star

Postby The Nudger on Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:22 am

I'd be sorry to see cockers go at this stage, still think he's the right man for the job. We can change head coaches all we like but we won't truly progress until we get a competent attack coach.
Illegitimi non Carborundum
The Nudger
World Cup Star

Postby Impega on Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:43 am

The Nudger wrote:I'd be sorry to see cockers go at this stage, still think he's the right man for the job. We can change head coaches all we like but we won't truly progress until we get a competent attack coach.

I'd love nothing more than for an innovative attack coach to come in and be given scope to implement new ideas, but it doesn't sound like something Cockerill would ever countenance.

I've questioned Hodge a lot perhaps but in retrospect this is a bit unfair? Because with Cockerill's rigid overarching style in place it probably doesn't matter what the attack coach does.
Impega
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:58 am

I'd be disappointed. This season hasn't been great so far but we've barely seen the 1st team and I think he still has credit in the bank for finally making us competitive and respected by other teams.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:05 am

some comments elswhere about players not developing.
Could say that there are always players who don't manage to develop as expected.
There are always players who lose form
And there are always players who had it and no longer do.

Edinburgh seem to have a bit more than their fair share of each. Coindicence?

Interesting folk finally waking up to Cockerill's limitations. His 4th season. His squad. His team. His assistants. His game plan. He owns this.
He moved Edinburgh on well first 2 seasons, but the wake up shake up effect has long worn off, and he has not been able to update his ideas - TBH he isn't interested or capable of change. He is what he is. Time to move on
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:16 am

joe soap wrote:some comments elswhere about players not developing.
Could say that there are always players who don't manage to develop as expected.
There are always players who lose form
And there are always players who had it and no longer do.

Edinburgh seem to have a bit more than their fair share of each. Coindicence?

Interesting folk finally waking up to Cockerill's limitations. His 4th season. His squad. His team. His assistants. His game plan. He owns this.
He moved Edinburgh on well first 2 seasons, but the wake up shake up effect has long worn off, and he has not been able to update his ideas - TBH he isn't interested or capable of change. He is what he is. Time to move on

I don't think that's true - Cockers has improved most of the forwards - except McCallum/Bhatti and seen most of the backs - except maybe Bennett, Scott, and VdM - regress. That's the 9 man rugby he plays.

And why any innovative attack coach is bound to fail. Cockers doesn't want innovative attack. He wants early 2000s rugby fundamentals.

He's done fantastically here until post covid and there are circumstances to say yeah it's a very tough situation. I wouldn't be disappointed if he stayed. But, it's maybe time for him to go.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Next

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum