Cardiff v Edinburgh. Monday evening

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Cardiff v Edinburgh. Monday evening

Postby robdinsdale on Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:53 pm

gowrie wrote:Total nonsense call, Kinghorn was totally aware of what he was doing

Great bit of skill.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:53 pm

And that breakdown penalty the jackaller was straight on to his hands, appalling defence too, great end to the game
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:54 pm

Bullshit call, but the Welsh TMO has done his job and got them their TBP.

That swing potentially costs us champions Cup next season if it goes to 24 teams with 8 from pro14 as reported.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:11 pm

Some decent individual performances in the match.

Crosbie, kunavula, mata and willemse all carried well.

Taylor, Sau and Hoyland looked sharp.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Trophyhunter on Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:13 am

Impressive high energy , high tempo start and generally l Decent performance on back of huge effort and commitment Big performances from Mata , Sau, Hoyland Crosbie and Bradbury .. Shiel showed more improvement . Savala looks talented enough but inevitably raw at this level and our midfield is still a bit turgid and predictable although Taylor did show sharp witted efficiency in taking his tries set up by great work from Shiel and Crosbie and then Hoyland. Kinghorn should have perhaps been selected at 10 from the start with Blain on wing and Savala on bench.
Trophyhunter
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:54 am

We just dont seem to put it together for 80 mins. I think it was a pretty close game, bu we conceded soft tries at crucial times. We allowed the kick in behind to be regathered where there really should have been a sweeper. Our maul defence was pretty poor too, we lost a lot of ground very easily. Perhaps having a relatively lightweight second row didnt help there, but we had a lot of power in the back row.

OUr scrum just capitulated in the second half, I would have brought Mccallum on at TH, he has always looked pretty solid and our new kiwi looks like he was struggling. McCallum at LH didnt look great, although by that time the mind was made up on who was dominating and Cardiff were getting away with anything.

Kinghorn looked decent and more threatening at 10, Bennet looked very sharp when he came on, no idea why he isnt starting.

I wonder if Hoyland starting at 15a head of Kinghorn was because Kinghorn was going to move to 10 and it is less disruptive swapping with Blain, than then also moving Hoyland to FB?

Taking an age to setup a box kick, then not bothering to chase/compete drives me nuts. The point of the box kick is generally to have a relatively high % chance of retaining the ball, yet we allow clean catches which is just handing posession over.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:35 am

Thought we looked decent in the first half before falling off in the second. The scoreline wasn't reflective really.

Some good individual performances but the tight five struggled - especially the sub front row.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby Impega on Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:20 am

Another incredibly frustrating evening. Yet again an attacking strategy of any kind was conspicuous by its absence. Teams figure out how to defend against us so easily. Despite a decent first half there was an inevitability about the outcome from the moment the second half kicked off.

Desperate for the season to end, and won't be in the least bit upset if the 'Rainbow Cup' fails to materialise.
Impega
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:54 am

Impega wrote:Another incredibly frustrating evening. Yet again an attacking strategy of any kind was conspicuous by its absence. Teams figure out how to defend against us so easily. Despite a decent first half there was an inevitability about the outcome from the moment the second half kicked off.

Desperate for the season to end, and won't be in the least bit upset if the 'Rainbow Cup' fails to materialise.

Cardiff pretty quickly worked out the very basic things we were doing in attack and smashing players.

What was noticeable was Savala and Kinghorn playing flat to the line at least trying to put players through a gap.

Maybe it's a lack of chemistry and prep but last season the team collective outshone individuals but this year the individuals have been promising at times and the collective has really struggled.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:06 pm

Poor second half display but with 3rd or 4th choice front row, 6 playing in 2nd row, a new debut at 10, FB on the wing it was always going to be tough. However as I keep saying this season, because of all the interruptions, is a right off and at least we are using the games to give some of the younger guys a chance and getting experience under their belt. Good to see Mata getting back to full fitness, Kunavula looked a real prospect and the first half was excellent and we should have been further ahead. In Savala and Chamberlain we might be ok going forward? Things disintegrated in the 2nd half and we lost the breakdown to Cardiff who are excellent over the ball in the breakdown, albeit often illegally. I thought Hoyland was man of the match for us.

We looked like a team who needs a proper pre season and the whole squad together for a long spell in order to find our best combinations, get some confidence in how we play collectively as a team and gain some leadership from the guys missing.
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter446 on Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:39 pm

dolf_lundgren wrote:Taking an age to setup a box kick, then not bothering to chase/compete drives me nuts. The point of the box kick is generally to have a relatively high % chance of retaining the ball, yet we allow clean catches which is just handing posession over.

Really TonySpreadbury me off too, give them all the time to set up to defend it and the odd one that goes straight to touch, Noooo. I’d rather see then run at the opposition and lose it rather than giving the ball away, seems pointless unless jammed in a corner with no route out.
Pitfitter446
World Cup Star

Postby The Chiel on Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:39 pm

Having been critical of him a while back, only fair to say I think Sau is really finding his feet. If only we had a passing back line to deliver him a ball in front of his breadbasket that he can actually run on to, instead of always a yard above his head, standing still.
Whisper it, but I thought Kinghorn looked very decent at 10 . . .

The Mata hit - was Harries' hair standing up that like before he was lumped ? :eek: :eek:
The Chiel
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:11 pm

The Fijian contingent were all hitting hard. Sau sat down turnbull at one point i think.

Good to see crosbie looking a bit nearer the form of last season and Hoyland with an injury free run of games is also adding some threat and go forward.

Agree on Kinghorn thought he looked more comfortable at wing and 10 than he does at FB sometimes.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:06 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:The Fijian contingent were all hitting hard. Sau sat down turnbull at one point i think.

Good to see crosbie looking a bit nearer the form of last season and Hoyland with an injury free run of games is also adding some threat and go forward.

Agree on Kinghorn thought he looked more comfortable at wing and 10 than he does at FB sometimes.

Wouldn't want to see Kinghorn try and control a game from 10 but he's an option when we're chasing. He did look a lot brighter on the wing. I don't think he has the concentration or anticipation required for a top level 15.

Sau was very good and has been the last few games. I believe the Fijian contingent is called Edinbula!
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Trophyhunter on Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:46 am

Contrarily I think his concentration is more likely to lapse at FB ( especially in an empty stadium) whereas at 10 you are all the more intensely engaged in the action ?
Trophyhunter
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum