Edinburgh v Scarlets 1715 KO Saturday 25 Sep

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Edinburgh v Scarlets 1715 KO Saturday 25 Sep

Postby The Feral Goat on Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:29 pm

VDW, Hodgson and Mata all available. Ben Toolis and Glen Young long term injuries.

Cant see that much change from the Benetton match starting XV.

Bradbury was announced but didnt start so assume he picked up an injury and Haining departed early so Mata looks like a starter. Maybe Lang in for Hutchison although dont think Hutchinson has done anything wrong. Then 10 VDW or Kinghorn.

15. Henry Immelman
14. Darcy Graham
13. Mark Bennett
12. James Lang/Cammy Hutchinson
11. Damien Hoyland
10. Blair Kinghorn/Jaco VDW
9. Ben Vellacott

1. Pierre Schoeman
2. Stuart McInally
3. Luan de Bruin
4. Marshall Sykes
5. Grant Gilchrist CAPTAIN
6. Jamie Ritchie
7. Luke Crosbie
8. Mata
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 2688
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:55 am

Re: Edinburgh v Scarlets 1715 KO Saturday 25 Sep

Postby doedin on Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:01 pm

I've not been able to get to either warm up game and will miss this game as I'm away again. From reports and comments on here it sounds like we have lost a wee bit of power in the front 5? Will we not see Nel starting to shore up the scrum or is he injured?

I suspect Scarlets will be targeting this one and hope to catch us cold with new coach and changes in the gameplan. They are pretty good at the breakdown and play a high pace, multi phase game and will like our new pitch surface so we are going to have to be fully up to speed to get something from this game.
doedin
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 1409
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:41 pm

Re: Edinburgh v Scarlets 1715 KO Saturday 25 Sep

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:04 pm

Saturday 25 September, kick-off 5.15pm) – live on Premier Sports

15. Henry Immelman *
14. Darcy Graham (39)
13. Mark Bennett (54)
12. Cammy Hutchison (2)
11. Damien Hoyland (85)
10. Blair Kinghorn (102)
9. Ben Vellacott*

1. Pierre Schoeman (65)
2. Stuart McInally (153)
3. Lee Roy Atalifo (10)
4. Marshall Sykes (8)
5. Grant Gilchrist (159) CAPTAIN
6. Jamie Ritchie (77)
7. Luke Crosbie (58)
8. Viliame Mata (89)

Replacements: 16. Dave Cherry (36) 17. Boan Venter (8) 18. WP Nel (156) 19. Jamie Hodgson (23) 20. Connor Boyle (7) 21. Henry Pyrgos (53) 22. Jaco van der Walt (71) 23. James Lang*

Unavailable due to injury: Magnus Bradbury, Matt Currie, Nick Haining, George Taylor, Ben Toolis, Hamish Watson, Glen Young

*Edinburgh Rugby competitive debut
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 2688
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:55 am

Re: Edinburgh v Scarlets 1715 KO Saturday 25 Sep

Postby Tichtheid on Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:10 pm

Wow, Mike Blair's really going for it with Kinghorn's switch.

It's good to see the injury list shortening, if a little worrying that Watson has joined it
Tichtheid
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 2664
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:51 pm
Location: Alba Bheag

Re: Edinburgh v Scarlets 1715 KO Saturday 25 Sep

Postby liveinhope on Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:36 pm

Any sign of Kunuvalu? Not listed as injured and didn't play in friendlies?
Think he played in some summer tests.I rate him very highly albeit amongst huge competition at edinburgh.
liveinhope
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 652
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:25 pm

Re: Edinburgh v Scarlets 1715 KO Saturday 25 Sep

Postby gowrie on Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:53 pm

Hutchison keeps the shirt even with Lang fit, could be a breakout season for him if he can hold it. Worry might then be that Vellacott and Kinghorn are running halfbacks, we're only set up to play one way, a very different way from last season at least!
gowrie
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 1255
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:31 am

Re: Edinburgh v Scarlets 1715 KO Saturday 25 Sep

Postby Tichtheid on Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:00 pm

liveinhope wrote:Any sign of Kunuvalu? Not listed as injured and didn't play in friendlies?
Think he played in some summer tests.I rate him very highly albeit amongst huge competition at edinburgh.



possibly still being rested after the summer, even if Mish was fit he probably wouldn't be starting this one - the guys who were playing international rugby wouldn't have had the full preseason.
We are lucky with the depth we have in the backrow, and I agree on the big man, I really rate Kunavula too
Tichtheid
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 2664
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:51 pm
Location: Alba Bheag

Re: Edinburgh v Scarlets 1715 KO Saturday 25 Sep

Postby Trophyhunter on Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:49 pm

Good that Blair has kept most of last week’s units together and brilliant to see Big Bill back. Lang May short of match fitness but Hutchinson has shown he can operate at this level although not sure he can operate wider out at 13 for cover in the way that Lang , Taylor and Dean both either injured or just coming back into fitness from injury can.

Kinghorn at 10 is work in progress but the potential is evident and exciting to see him operate in the MB gameplan.
Trophyhunter
International
 
Posts: 97
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:12 pm

Re: Edinburgh v Scarlets 1715 KO Saturday 25 Sep

Postby robdinsdale on Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:52 pm

liveinhope wrote:Any sign of Kunuvalu? Not listed as injured and didn't play in friendlies?
Think he played in some summer tests.I rate him very highly albeit amongst huge competition at edinburgh.


Apparently he only got back from Fiji a couple of weeks ago, he'll probably be on a similar schedule to Hamish.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 1542
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:33 am
Location: Istanbul

Re: Edinburgh v Scarlets 1715 KO Saturday 25 Sep

Postby robdinsdale on Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:54 pm

gowrie wrote:Hutchison keeps the shirt even with Lang fit, could be a breakout season for him if he can hold it. Worry might then be that Vellacott and Kinghorn are running halfbacks, we're only set up to play one way, a very different way from last season at least!


We still have Pyrgos and Jaco on the bench if we want to play with more control.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 1542
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:33 am
Location: Istanbul

Re: Edinburgh v Scarlets 1715 KO Saturday 25 Sep

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:14 pm

Think we need to accept (I know social media wont) Kinghorn may make a few errors while he gets more exposure at this level. If he is a realistic proposition at 10 let's see him get a decent run of games and the chance to improve.

Looking forward to seeing what the backrow and back 3 can do in the DAM.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 2688
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:55 am

Re: Edinburgh v Scarlets 1715 KO Saturday 25 Sep

Postby liveinhope on Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:24 pm

Trophyhunter wrote:Good that Blair has kept most of last week’s units together and brilliant to see Big Bill back. Lang May short of match fitness but Hutchinson has shown he can operate at this level although not sure he can operate wider out at 13 for cover in the way that Lang , Taylor and Dean both either injured or just coming back into fitness from injury can.

Kinghorn at 10 is work in progress but the potential is evident and exciting to see him operate in the MB gameplan.


Not sure if entirely your point but this season Immelman could cover outside centre so not a problem with Hutchison a pure inside centre (though obviously a fair bit of tinkering as Kinghorn would need to switch to FB and VDW to flyhalf in a line up such as tomorrow's.)
liveinhope
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 652
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:25 pm

Re: Edinburgh v Scarlets 1715 KO Saturday 25 Sep

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:55 pm

Makes sense to try Kinghorn at a position of weakness as our back three options are great and that's with the best of the bunch Bofelli still to join. But it only makes sense if he now gets a few games consecutively there.

Shame Shiel misses out. When he's on form firing passes and making breaks it's as good as it gets.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 2500
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:44 pm

Re: Edinburgh v Scarlets 1715 KO Saturday 25 Sep

Postby Tichtheid on Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:26 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:Makes sense to try Kinghorn at a position of weakness as our back three options are great and that's with the best of the bunch Bofelli still to join. But it only makes sense if he now gets a few games consecutively there.

Shame Shiel misses out. When he's on form firing passes and making breaks it's as good as it gets.



I'm a huge Shiel fan and I agree that he brings real pace, both in his passing and in his breaking game. It looks like Vellacott starts the season as first choice and with Kinghorn at ten I guess Mike Blair wants the option of steadying the ship if needs be
Tichtheid
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 2664
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:51 pm
Location: Alba Bheag

Re: Edinburgh v Scarlets 1715 KO Saturday 25 Sep

Postby Trophyhunter on Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:34 pm

liveinhope wrote:
Trophyhunter wrote:Good that Blair has kept most of last week’s units together and brilliant to see Big Bill back. Lang May short of match fitness but Hutchinson has shown he can operate at this level although not sure he can operate wider out at 13 for cover in the way that Lang , Taylor and Dean both either injured or just coming back into fitness from injury can.

Kinghorn at 10 is work in progress but the potential is evident and exciting to see him operate in the MB gameplan.


Not sure if entirely your point but this season Immelman could cover outside centre so not a problem with Hutchison a pure inside centre (though obviously a fair bit of tinkering as Kinghorn would need to switch to FB and VDW to flyhalf in a line up such as tomorrow's.)



Point more about how coach uses so many options in midfield . Best we have had in my memory . Had some great individuals but the range of options is fantastic. Question is how we make the most of it from 9/10 as our pack will win ball .
Trophyhunter
International
 
Posts: 97
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:12 pm

Next

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests